I will let you in on a little secret- I've got a new book in the works, this time collaborating with my husband on it. The book will be geared towards farmers and dreamers who want to raise and sell ethical meats profitably. Like my last book there will be discussion about a lot of different farmers around the country as well as processors, distributors and retailers who are committed to creating a new meat supply chain based on values, transparency, and quality. Before I get you all excited, the book won't be out until sometime in 2015. But I do want your feedback to make the book work better for you. If you don't mind, would folks be willing to comment on the following questions (all or just a few of them)?
1. What aspects of pasture-based animal production do you crave more information on? Be specific about the animal species you are talking about.
2. What areas of slaughter and meat processing do you need more clarity on?
3. Can you describe an innovation you have created/adapted in your meat production or sales that you want to share with others?
4. Do you want to scale up your production but are having specific difficulties in doing so?
5. Can you name some successful, creative animal producers that you think I should highlight in the book? Note: I am not looking for millionaire or billionaire farmers/farming companies that threw lots and lots of $ at their operations. I want this book to be applicable for normal people.
6. Are there other ethical processors, distributors, retailers, chefs that I should be talking to for this book? Who?
7. Would you like to serve as a volunteer technical advisor on a chapter or the whole book, and if so, what is your area of expertise?
8. Finally, what other books/periodicals/blogs do you rely on to get good information on grass-based animal production, marketing, and sales?
Hopefully I will get some interesting comments back and not just spam on this one. Thank you for your time!